Vital Villa Interviews 2012: Gazgecko
1) When did you become a Villa fan and why?
1977, Chris Nicholl`s screamer against Everton. I was 6 and I thought "They`ll do for me!"
2) Paul Lambert? Your opinion please?
After the two previous management decisions, it would seem the board have been well advised this time. I`m over the moon; Lambert and Solskjaer were top of my list. I`m particularly pleased because a friend at work (Norwich fan) says that Lambert takes absolutely no shit from his players...exactly what the club needs right now.
3) Best and worst moments of last season?
Christ. Well it would be too easy to say the appointment of McLeish was the worst moment and I`m not talking retrospectively. I was against it right from the off and it was based on his track record and tactical ability (I don`t care where he came from). Having said that, when you put everything in perspective, Stan`s diagnosis was actually the worst moment.
Best? Weiman`s beauty against Stoke. Just what we needed to see a young, hungry, capable player given a chance and taking it. He effectively put a huge question mark against the performance of a lot of other players with that effort.
4) Your opinion of Randy Lerner and the board, can a decent season next season make up for last season?
Randy has invested heavily in the club and for that we should be incredibly grateful. Unfortunately I think he`s been poorly advised (wage structure and signings under MON, appointments of Houllier and McLeish). As an owner I think he`s entitled to place a series of financial parameters around the Manager`s buying power so that we don`t do a swan dive like Pompey, Rangers and no doubt a few others to come. We can`t compete financially in the market with big spenders so we should concentrate on building a financially sustainable club that satisfies the FFP rules and develop the Academy.
5) Which player/s should Villa sign this summer?
Players who can augment our spine of youngsters. Lambert will know what`s needed but I`d like to see the back four overhauled...buy an experienced centre half to partner Clarke and Baker. Get Enda Stevens into the first team. Under no circumstances should we extend Jenas` loan.
6) Which player/s should Villa get rid of this summer?
1. Collins, Dunne, Warnock, Hutton.
2. Anyone else who thinks they`re better than the shirt.
3. For his own sake, Gabby. Lost his mojo and if he`s going to progress needs to leave his boy-hood club and get some form back playing for a manager who apprecioates his skill-set (MON). Best of luck to him.
7) Favourite current player?
Weimann. Tenacious little bugger who overcame a crap injury when MON left and forced his way into the side. Possibly the only decent decision McLeish made (or was it a Sid/McDonald decision). Hope he gets the chance to partner Bent. And Stan.
8) Favourite all time player/s?
9) What do you expect us to do/finish this season assuming a decent transfer window with £25m or so spent?
Premier: Top 10, with a much improved home record.
FA Cup: Quarters
Carling: I hate this competition. But I reckon semis.
10) You can ask yourself any question you want to about Villa and what is your answer?
Q. What made last season bearable.
A. Winding up Gooners and Spuds fans about them getting Heskey on a free in the summer, "Seriously lads, I know a bloke at VP and he swears..." Oooh they got mad....
11) Just to change the theme slightly, a snap shot of you outside of football, answer or ignore at your leisure:
(based on our WHO ARE YOU thread!!!)
a) Which celebrity/s would you most like to meet and why? 1. So I could ask Alan why on earth he`s still at TalkSport when there`s clearly a columnist`s job for him at the Daily 'Hate` Mail. 2. So I could ask 'Sidekick` what his parents must have thought when the first words out of his mouth as a baby were, "What do you think Al?"
b) Age 41
c) Location: Portsmouth, Southampton, Cyprus, Chester, Hong Kong, Belfast, London and now Reading.
d) Favourite alcoholic drink: Brooklyn Lager
e) Favourite non-alcoholic drink: Good coffee
f) Favourite Film/s: Miller`s Crossing, Zatoichi, Dead Man`s Shoes, The Thing (1982)
g) Favourite TV Show/s: MoTD, The Apprentice
h) Music?: Ennio Morriconne, The Clash, Bowie, Queen and erm The Bangles.
i) Best ever moment in your life: Visiting my girlfriend in Peru for the first time in 6 months. Aaaah
j) Ambitions: To have kids. Grounded, polite, ambitious, adventurous kids. Maybe four of them.
k) Wise words: What`s the difference between a Kangaroo and a Kangaroot. Ones a giant Australian rat-thingy and the other is a Geordie stuck in a lift.
now your turn, how to submit an interview: click here
Stephen Jay Hawkings
we`re not fickle
Carew AV Legend
sid is god
McGrath For Pope
Smell the Glove
Pride Of Lions
Proud to be a Villan
Steff The Villan
McGrath's Dodgy Knees
Win FREE pizza with Vital Football!
Select your team and get 50% off if they score twice.