Aston Villa Forum - Aston Villa (Away) v Barnsley, Sat. 16th Sept. 5:30pm kick off
Vital Football

Latest Aston Villa News

Welcome to the Aston Villa Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: Yeah it's not the same thing, but basically it is. (Stephen Jay Hawkings)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Fulham MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Johnstone8%
Elmohamady1%
Chester2%
Terry29%
Hutton1%
Snograss1%
Whelan2%
Hourihane1%
Adomah30%
Onomah22%
Kodjia0%
Sub - Davis0%
Sub - De Laet3%
Sub - Bjarnason0%
Vital Football Comment
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.The Fear382
2.Pride of Lions295
3.JuanPabloAngel268
4.HeathfieldRoad1874224
5.sirdennis222
6.mike_field216
7.BodyButter144
8.DeanoVilla95
9.Sasquatch93
10.Melon Donkey87
Write for Vital Football
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (15): « First ... 12 13 14
Last »
Aston Villa (Away) v Barnsley, Sat. 16th Sept. 5:30pm kick off
17 September 2017 21:21 Post ID: #1714774 - in reply to #1714751
CDX_EIRE - 17/9/2017 18:05

Villan57 - 17/9/2017 11:19

I'm not sure what Hourihane brings to the party , especially if we play 442 , I'm not even convinced that was a 442 as Snoddy never really got back and helped Elmo ., so it was more off a 433 at times.

Shocked at this comment.

Hourihane is the only player who can pass it forward and find a target, I agree with you and said as much yesterday that he doesnt belong in a 442. I agree again it wasnt a true 442 Kodjia didnt quite play up with Davis.

Back on point Hourihane isnt a player you stick in the side for his defensive ability and he's stuck playing with a guy who is about as mobile as a wheelchair in a muddy field. I hope its a turn, we did well to get a result with that team. That midfield would get blown away by any team with pace. Glenn, Snodgrass, Hourihane and even Adomah its very slow.

Bruce has assembled some miss mash of players I just look at our squad and find it hard to see how you maintain a good consistent 11 when someone is injured. Our lack of pace on the wings is galling.

Villan57 - 17/9/2017 11:19

Like I said Terry looked the part at last , Chester i really don't get all the fuss , he's a row z no nonsense sort , lacks pace but hey ho he's the only option at the moment .

Disagree with so much, would you prefer Baker over Chester? Thats a true Row Z, no nonsense doesnt belong on a football pitch defender.

Whelan is brutal. Like maybe 2 or 3 other posters here we've been watching him do nothing for Ireland for 10 years. For us at this level he'll do a job but hes a shadow of Jedinak and he cannot pass forward. His performance against Georgia was a joke along with the rest of the side.

Nope don't rate Hourihane in a two in the centre as you say he can't Tackle or defend . He might be ok in a centre 3 but he's about as much use as Lansbury in a two . Think his Hattrick has brought him back from the dead . I haven't seen much of his passing forwards at Villa and his corners and free kicks so far have been very Westwood like. He looks like he has a left foot but he's no Bruce Rioch or Der Hammer or Stevie Staunton even
Holte end do love his terrace chant but they also love Gabbys

Jedi is better than Whelan yes he is , especially in the air . As a bloke with 80+ caps can't be that bad . I know MON is a twat of the highest order but other managers must have picked him too.

Don't rate Chester as better than Baker or Clark or Samba come to that , he's slow probably slower than JT at 36. Hes ok don't get me wrong but ....... Nothing special
Perhaps I'm comparing him to Mellberg or Laursen we've had some superb CB's in my time as a Villan and Chester wouldn't make my top 30 certainly he'll never be a top flight player . He's serving a purpose Like George Curtis did back in the real dark days although i think he's better than Curtis (pub player ) Davies I'll give him that .

Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
17 September 2017 21:51 Post ID: #1714784 - in reply to #1714090
Vital Villa Legend
Funny how people see the same game but have different views and opinions. I thought Hourihane had a decent game yesterday , worked hard , made a few interceptions and passed the ball well and not always sideways or backwards.

Before the game I was worried about Whelan and Hourihane playing as a 2 in midfield but you can't say we were overrun in that area and if it means we can play 2 up front then I am all for it.
Like post
Like this post
17 September 2017 22:32 Post ID: #1714789 - in reply to #1714090
Team Of 82 Champion
Hourihane was excellent. He was a contender for man of the match from me, I can't understand why people are slagging him off after a good display. He made the most passes, and the second highest number of tackles, and second most touches, and some are saying he doesn't do anything in our midfield?
Like post
Like this post
17 September 2017 22:42 Post ID: #1714790 - in reply to #1714734
Team Of 82 Champion
McParlandTheGreat - 17/9/2017 15:18

Would stick Elmo at right wing and shove one of our many RBs at RB.

You must have missed the last 5 or 6 matches in which he played right wing and was crap in all of them

To be fair to him he actually put in a good performance yesterday. Slightly iffy on the defending but nothing too major and he looked a decent getting forward from the back. He's decent at running down the line and putting crosses in but he really doesn't have the creativity to play in an attacking position which is probably why he's been converted into a full back. Hopefully Adomah has cemented his place in the side and it means Elmohamady is kept in defence or on the bench
Like post
Like this post
18 September 2017 00:22 Post ID: #1714794 - in reply to #1714774
Team Of 82 Champion
Villan57 - 17/9/2017 21:21

Nope don't rate Hourihane in a two in the centre as you say he can't Tackle or defend . He might be ok in a centre 3 but he's about as much use as Lansbury in a two . Think his Hattrick has brought him back from the dead . I haven't seen much of his passing forwards at Villa and his corners and free kicks so far have been very Westwood like. He looks like he has a left foot but he's no Bruce Rioch or Der Hammer or Stevie Staunton even
Holte end do love his terrace chant but they also love Gabbys

I wouldnt want him as a midfield duo at least with the players we have. I think a few people have been very disingenuous the guy is both footed he has taken a few frees with his right foot.

I like Chester and he has his limitations but I he is another who could probably play in the EPL if he wanted. Martin Laursen in the pinnacle it would be amazing to find another of his calibre.

sirdennis - 17/9/2017 21:51

Before the game I was worried about Whelan and Hourihane playing as a 2 in midfield but you can't say we were overrun in that area and if it means we can play 2 up front then I am all for it.

I meant against better teams we'd get easily overrun but there were a couple of times Barnsley blew through us. As much as I dislike Whelan I feel you could play him and Jedinak with Hourihane in front of them and nobody would break us down.

You'd risk having no width but I'd try Kodjia wide left with Davis through the middle and Green/Grealish or even O'Hare or someone with pace on the right.
Like post
Like this post
23 September 2017 11:19 Post ID: #1714772 - in reply to #1714090
Youth Academy
Manager Steve Bruce was focusing on the positives following a pretty comprehensive victory over Barnsley on Saturday.

Click here to read the article

Like post
Like this post
23 September 2017 11:20 Post ID: #1714850 - in reply to #1714090
Youth Academy
Following two frustrating draws against Brentford and Middlesbrough, youngster Keinan Davis has been speaking of his delight at seeing Aston Villa take victory over Barnsley in our...

Click here to read the article

Like post
Like this post
Pages (15): « First ... 12 13 14
Last »
Jump to forum: