Aston Villa Forum - Time for a new manager?
Vital Football

Latest Aston Villa News

Welcome to the Aston Villa Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year (Pink Floyd)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Millwall MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Johnstone77%
Hutton4%
Samba0%
Chester0%
Taylor1%
Snodgrass0%
Whelan8%
Lansbury1%
Adomah0%
Onomah1%
Davis0%
Sub - Grealish2%
Sub - Elmohamady1%
Sub - Elphick5%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.JuanPabloAngel156
2.Pride of Lions143
3.HeathfieldRoad1874132
4.The Fear129
5.BodyButter113
6.sirdennis85
7.Melon Donkey66
8.Villan Of The North64
9.mike_field52
10.McParlandTheGreat49
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (38): « First 1 2 3
5 6 7 ... Last »
Time for a new manager?
Time for a new manager?
OptionAdded byResults
Steve BruceFulford
Sam AllardyceFulford
Alan PardewFulford
David MoyesFulford
Martin LaursenFulford
Olof MelbergFulford
Roy HodgsonFulford
Chris ColemanFulford
Slavisa JokanovicThomas Holte
Micheal O'NeillNI Villan
Tim SherwoodMcParlandTheGreat
Dean SmithStephen Jay Hawkings
John TerryOldgoat
Aitor Karankagator
Julian Nagelsmann"Merd"
Kent Nielsennorthamptonvillan
Nigel CloughSilhillvilla
Jaap Stamjcvilla
Lee JohnsonBromsgroveVilla
The FearThe Fear
Roberto Martinezrobbo110
Dirk Schuster.1958Villan
Clark KentClaret & Blue Blood
Old Prickvillasince67
De Boertarzan
Add your own option:

16 August 2017 10:52 Post ID: #1709145 - in reply to #1709039
Holte End Hero
I think Bruce will have till the end of September to get things sorted, if we are not top 6 by then he will get sacked, Xia will have no option. He has to protect his investment and I do believe Xia actually cares about this club. He understands history, and gets what a huge club Aston Villa is. In an ideal world he needs a football person to work with him and advise him on football issues, someone like the late great Graham Taylor would have been the perfect choice. Would Big Ron come in and advise? Afterall he is an ex Villa manager and still a big fan of the club. As for who would replace Bruce, I don't know. Pardew? Big Sam? God only knows. Big Sam is a Brummie and so I suppose he will know what it means to be at a club of Villa's stature.

We need passion and fight in the team, we need a manager with a strong willed determination to get the job done who can instruct and discipline the players, motivate them and someone who takes no crap. A no nonsense approach and doesn't try to "put square pegs in round holes". A manager who has a plan A, plan B and plan C. I'm not a fan of Pardew or Big Sam but of the ones that are available now these two must be close to the top of the list and can't be any worse than Bruce has become.
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
16 August 2017 10:53 Post ID: #1709146 - in reply to #1709134
First Team Regular
DeanoVilla - 16/8/2017 09:23

I think our problems lie deeper than Bruce. The club just seems to be a cancer that can't be cured.

Houllier, McLiesh, Lambert, Sherwood, Di Matteo, Bruce.... are we seriously saying they are ALL bad managers?

Yes Deano most of them are bad managers where are they now ? But I do agree that even good managers can struggle at times Big Ron, Little Ron,Brian Little and John Gregory all had bad times but as managers most of us thought the world of them and still do.

I did not want Bruce but it made sense,proven track record in promotions , nice guy etc
but at my age I realise the world has moved on Bruce is stuck in using past success as a recipe that wont work today. He was unlucky to follow RDM who squandered 12 mill on McCormack. His dealings in general have not been bad we had a load of dross to clear and what we have paid out on players since is probably recoverable e.g. Landsbury,Houlihane,
Bjarnson, total what 7 mill ? I do question selling Baker and signing Samba. But Bruces biggest headache is that after 10 months we have no style of play never mind not having a plan B we do not have a plan A . Without Jedinak we look vulnerable without Kodjia we look toothless. We are to reliant on these two individuals to hold the team together.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 10:58 Post ID: #1709147 - in reply to #1709039
Villa Park Legend
Apologies for losing my shit last night. I can usually handle losing a football match, I have had to get used to it over these past 6/7 years.

However, what I cant handle is a dumb manager who has the best players, best squad, favourites to go up etc setting OUR team up to not even attempt to play any football whatsoever, where we are so afraid of the opposition, be they Cardiff or Reading or whoever, a manager employing a ten man blanket defence who are obviously instructed to hoof the ball up the pitch to a lonely isolated striker over and over again. What are we so afraid of?

I am all for being hard to beat but this dour, dire defensive anti-football shit the manager expects us to gain promtotion with is an insult to Aston Villa Football Club. It doesnt work and we end up getting beat anyway.

If we tried to play some sort of cohesive football with this expensively assembled Chumpionship squad, where we passed the ball to each other with conviction and ventured into the oppositions half with some attacking intent, or even attempted to have a go at the likes of the mighty Cardiff or Reading or whoever - if we had a go and then got beat, I would be fine with that, at least we tried to have a go, tried to win, tried to gain 3 points in our quest for promotion.

But with this manager he sets us up for a 0-0, he is admitting defeat in the sense that he thinks we cannot beat the likes of mighty Cardiff or Reading or whoever playing football, so he wants to keep it 'tight' and maybe sneak a winner from a corner. Are they told not to pass and move? Are they told not to attack with numbers. Garbage.

Bruce only has one chance now, ditch the shite scared anti-football hoof tactics and give it the full bollocks, set OUR team up to and go out and win football matches, beat team with football. End of. Go after the 3 points not all sit back and pray for the 0-0. Absolute garbage. We are Aston Villa not Burton fucking Albion. Any fucker not giving 110% or not pressing hard or hoofing the ball up to no-one like a school kid should be hauled off there and then and dumped in the reserves. This current shite we are witnessing is no good for anyone so why the fuck is the manager persisting with it? Is he blind aswell as stupid? If that is what his staff are coaching they need to be sacked. Is it their job to coach the football insticts out of our players? We play like no-one has belief or confidence in what we are doing, and can we blame them?

How can we possibly expect to change the mentailty at the club when the manager is admitting defeat before we start. Tell the players they are the best in the league, tell them to go out and prove it playing attacking football and score more than the opposition. If he cannot do that he should be sacked asap. UTV.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 10:59 Post ID: #1709148 - in reply to #1709039
Villa Park Legend
SB has come out and said
"I am the right man for the job, my record in the Championship tells me that, I'm under no illusion, we're judged by results"

Who was it that said you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one?
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 11:04 Post ID: #1709149 - in reply to #1709039
Villa Park Legend
Tellamuir - just bang on. He won't change though, he has to walk before he is pushed, he won't do that either.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 11:09 Post ID: #1709150 - in reply to #1709149
Villa Park Legend
P.S. -SB has also just said and I quote ...

"The results aren't what the fans expect and rightly so,"

What the fuck, imagine the team talks, ffs just get out of here
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 11:17 Post ID: #1709153 - in reply to #1709039
Team Of 82 Champion
The thread title asks a question to which the answer is a resounding yes.
The writing for Mr. Bruce isn't only on the wall, its on the ceiling and the floor, not to mention the windows and the door, it is writ large across the sky in claret and blue lettering.
And it says, In capital letters, "Goodbye, time to retire."
Mr. Bruce sealed his fate this summer, by failing miserably to address the failings in the team, never mind the squad.
When everyone who had watched 6 games from the last two months of last season, could tell what was wrong, Mr. Bruce did nothing to address the problem area's, instead concentrating on changing what didn't need changing and overloading one side of the team with players, while decimating the numbers on the other.
The only excuse I can come up with is, early onset of dementia.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 11:40 Post ID: #1709154 - in reply to #1709039
Team Of 82 Champion
I said at the time of the takeover, that it will take a minimum of five years to rebuild this club to a standard capable of surviving in the premiership. I have changed my mind, under the p4esent leadership it will take a minimum of ten years. I said there is no quick fix, we have to build from the ground up. A long term plan is what is needed and we, the fans, have to be accepting that for future success, we may have to accept short term failure. We have to get a youngish manager in and give him a minimum five year contract, with no interference .
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 11:58 Post ID: #1709158 - in reply to #1709039
Villa Park Legend
Would love Bruce to come out and say exactly what he is trying to achieve with the playing style and tactic because I cannot for the life of me work it out.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 12:03 Post ID: #1709159 - in reply to #1709039
Holte End Hero
Modern football doesn't fit with long-term fixes. Teams can quickly improve with investment in the right players and manager. It happens all the time.

What you always need is a well organised club. Hopefully, we are now that.

Edited by McParlandTheGreat 16/8/2017 12:05
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 12:05 Post ID: #1709160 - in reply to #1709039
First Team Regular
Agreed Melon even if he wasnt first choice of a lot of us he did have all of us wishing him well
and up till Calderwood arrived we appeared to be moulding a side and getting a few results since then we have become a shambles and have no playing style. And no I am not putting it all on Calderwood Bruce is the manager and should at least have a plan A.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 12:09 Post ID: #1709162 - in reply to #1709039
Squad Member
I said all of those things aswell 1958 and really thought Steve Bruce was the answer.
He still could be, but with every passing game it is becoming clearer and clearer that he just doesnt have an answer to the problems that beset him.
I also am of the opinion that he has shot himself in the foot bringing in very experienced older pros because they will not take kindley to being put in the position where they are being made to look like a bunch of muppets every week because of his inability to produce a game plan that is in any way effective.
Last night was as bad if not worse than anything seen in recent years. Wont go into it because its all been said,sufice it to say it cant be allowed to go on. I really hope his luck changes, but I am a great believer in making your own luck and I cant see anything changing because SB cant orwont change.
When you look at the list of candidates at the top of the thread it doesnt excite does it, if anything it underlines the deep deep shit we are in.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 12:18 Post ID: #1709163 - in reply to #1709039
Villa Park Legend
Think I am at the stage where I really do not have a clue when this will all turn around.

Went to Reading last year, went last night. Kind of bookend the reign of Bruce so far. 100% we are worse now than then.

I would give until the Norwich game. If we lose we could be 11 points from automatic places. That's unacceptable
I don't want change but let be honest it's the way of the world today. It's probably complete folly to think that somehow Bruce was going to come in and create a legacy and stay for 5 years. Doesn't happen in football.

Don't really have a managerial suggestion either. We have tried everything in terms of age, type, experience of manager.

Bollox to it , give to JT.

Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 12:22 Post ID: #1709165 - in reply to #1709039
Villa Park Legend
And I notice Bruce and in fact some on here have changed commented on the lack of availability of Kodjia and Jedi.

No doubt we miss them. But if we need to rely on 2 players to succeed.
1- that is a disgrace
2- we are well and truly in the cack.

Edited by Melon Donkey 16/8/2017 12:23
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 12:36 Post ID: #1709169 - in reply to #1709165
Squad Member
Melon Donkey - 16/8/2017 12:22

And I notice Bruce and in fact some on here have changed commented on the lack of availability of Kodjia and Jedi.

No doubt we miss them. But if we need to rely on 2 players to succeed.
1- that is a disgrace
2- we are well and truly in the cack.

That was the point I meant to make on my thread above but forgot, so thanks Melon. This more than anything demonstrates the depth of our problems. One coming back from a broken ankle and the other, as good as he has been, another pensioner. The former if he is as sharp when he comes back will probably hit the transfer button in January.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 12:46 Post ID: #1709170 - in reply to #1709147
Holte End Hero
Tellamuir - 16/8/2017

However, what I cant handle is a dumb manager who has the best players, best squad,
:

I totally respect everything you say but I just can't see the evidence for this claim. Not the dumb manager bit but the best players, best squad. Who he's bought is one of my criticisms of Bruce and the preceding managers of course.

I see Dean Smith is a popular candidate to replace Bruce. Is he the same guy that has one point after 3 games the same as Bruce?
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 13:21 Post ID: #1709176 - in reply to #1709039
First Team Regular
Wolves had Walter zenga this time last year as new boss , 2 managers later they seem to have found someone who knows what he is doing.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (38): « First 1 2 3
5 6 7 ... Last »
Jump to forum: