Aston Villa Forum - Match Thread: Reading Vs Villa, TUE 15th, 8PM
Vital Football

Latest Aston Villa News

Welcome to the Aston Villa Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me for the path is narrow.. In fact, just pee off and leave me alone
Current Poll (see more polls)
Where will Villa finish?
Suggested By: JP Fear
Top two28%
Play offs 39%
Outside the playoffs32%
How the hell do I know?1%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.JuanPabloAngel200
2.The Fear170
3.HeathfieldRoad1874166
4.Pride of Lions165
5.BodyButter147
6.sirdennis115
7.mike_field86
8.Melon Donkey80
9.Villan Of The North77
10.McParlandTheGreat69
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (29): « First ... 24 25 26
28 29 Last »
Match Thread: Reading Vs Villa, TUE 15th, 8PM
16 August 2017 00:22 Post ID: #1709074 - in reply to #1708982
Villa Park Legend
Fulford - 15/8/2017 22:30

I would guess a new manager wouldn't have gabby and co anywhere near the first team.

If there's any money left then just pay him off an

FFS [to repeat] how many times does it have to be said - until every single player associated with the demise of the first team over the last few years has been removed, f**k all will work. If the owner can't see it then it can only be assumed that those in who we trust either don't tell him or they don't have his ear!
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
16 August 2017 00:25 Post ID: #1709076 - in reply to #1709071
Villa Park Legend
McParlandTheGreat - 16/8/2017 00:18

Reckon Bruce has lost the dressing room. They've seen through him. They're not being set up with a decent strategy or tactics to win the game. He hasn't the confidence to pick his best X1 and just stick with it. They're being sent out expected to make it up as they go along. They're fed up.

I think that could well be the case, and I reckon a few would be glad when he's gone as he's holding them back.

Hogan is being wasted, and I don't agree Hourihane is rubbish, I wonder how he might fare in a more attack minded side.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 00:25 Post ID: #1709077 - in reply to #1708988
Villa Park Legend
Villan57 - 15/8/2017 22:34

I imagine bruce will be gone by tomorrow night and Big Sam will be in .

and don't tell me you don't like his style because at least he has one

Sorry - another FFS
Jesus No Way
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 00:38 Post ID: #1709082 - in reply to #1708994
Villa Park Legend
Fulford - 15/8/2017 22:41

https://www.facebook.com/avfcofficial/videos/1651714441539285/

More bollocks spouted by PH

The bloke is delusional, he uses phrases like 'exceptionally decent' FFS! He goes on about chances missed, sure they were missed but the fact is chances are always missed, even by the greatest teams, difference is though that we don't create hardly any cos his tactics are bollocks.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 00:43 Post ID: #1709083 - in reply to #1709046
Villa Park Legend
Wicked Messenger - 15/8/2017 23:30
Everybody wanted Lambert. The common denominator is that we're buying badly and that's ultimately the manager's fault.

Really - I beg to differ, I most definitely did not want Lambert.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 00:46 Post ID: #1709084 - in reply to #1709023
Villa Park Legend
hightrinity - 15/8/2017 23:04

Fat sam for me he nows how to right a sinking ship.

Yeah, plonk himself central midships, no thanks
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 00:48 Post ID: #1709085 - in reply to #1708234
Squad Member
Melon, aspects I agree with (others I won't which you'll see), including how you read Reading's play. I too easily related it to last year and how defensively we nailed it that day, I've just tried to search for the match thread back in October to reiterate it but have failed.

One issues with us pressing is actually Terry. When the crowd started getting on the player's backs there were a couple of occasions when it happened. However, when you press, everyone needs to do so, but due to a lack of pace, JT is refusing to push and hold the defensive line high, so instead it creates the gap between defence and midfield for opponents to exploit.

Our style of play, or lack of, is also bemusing. Too often the midfield are criticised here and at times rightly so, however, when the game-plan is to lump it from the back-line to our lone striker they deserve some flak. The problem we have with lumping it is firstly McCormack, now Hogan (and even Gabby), is they are not tall strikers, nor ones known for their strength in the air; so what's the point? If you're going to do it, what was the point in buying them? They clearly thrive off service which comes via through-balls, which we so rarely produce. However, even those times we do go through the thirds, the lack of movement in the final third at times is frightening. The impact of just making a run can have such fantastic repercussions even if it still doesn't get you directly involved in the move.

I personally thought Hourihane put in a decent shift this evening and was one of our better performers. I will point out I was at Colchester last week where I thought he was anonymous and failed to shine when presented with a chance. People wanted him to put himself about and he did that (albeit his booking was unnecessary), he maintained possession, at times it didn't go forwards, but he knew his limits and always looked to shift it wide (predominantly to Green) when possible. Yes, he gave it away on occasions, but he is hardly on his own in that category! He was also involved in a moment when I despaired: picking the ball up on halfway he started driving into Reading's half, looking to play it forwards. At this point, Gabby, our 'striker' decided that instead of being on the last man, he would move towards our own goal and ultimately got in Hourihane's way and possession was lost. I will credit Gabby for the lay-off to Hourihane's goal, but that's it; there was no effort as mentioned earlier and when you saw the old videos of him playing in the concourse pre-match, you can see he is definitely still in a larger shirt now!

I also thought De Laet was tidy, although a shame he clearly hasn't 90mins still in him and as such, it is a guaranteed/wasted substitution. Once he's up and running, I think he and Taylor are competent full-backs, the latter of whom was offered no protection all evening as Green looked lost and ultimately his head went the moment he missed that golden chance early on. I mentioned it on his thread the other week, but his final ball is now questionable and he just cannot strike (or head) a ball cleanly. Adomah also did well in his cameo, ultimately, it was his appearance when we actually had half a go at the end and it's a shame he didn't take the free kick we had centrally as I'd have fancied him more. Bizarre, Bjarnasson was selected ahead of him out-wide. Talking of whom, where did he play for Basel? Was it centrally, and if so, has he ever been given chance with us there? He looks mediocre out wide, not causing any issues really but not offering us anything either.

We also take a dynamic central-midfielder from Spurs who has just won the U20 World Cup and put him up front - why?! Onomah looked great at Colchester (my MotM there) and I'd have him as one of the two holding or in central midfield. Whelan looked so immobile and off-balance tonight, he was the one I thought would be putting his foot in there for us, not Hourihane.

I am unsure if I'm Bruce in or out now. I see the value in both arguments and there's no doubt the guillotine now hangs over him. His interview on facebook is one I am pretty disappointed with as there's a more glowing picture painted on the game than there should be. I also thought there was a difference between the two clubs when the Reading player was receiving treatment in the incident that got Green booked: Stam had a cohort of 6/7 of his players around him providing new instructions; Bruce had no-one, Terry didn't even bother. We just had players spread across the pitch, hands on hips, passing the time ready to restart. At a point when we were then being put on the ropes, I thought someone would step up and reorganise and motivate the side.

I could write more, but that seems sufficient for now at this time of night. I am sure the discussion will rumble on all the way to Saturday...
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 00:52 Post ID: #1709086 - in reply to #1709059
Villa Park Legend
onlyteaminthemids - 15/8/2017 23:57

BBJ - what about that squad makes you think they should be able to compete? We're consistently humbled by teams where I've not heard of a single player. Perhaps our squad isn't that good after all?

Three potentially important players to come back but two of them ring alarm bells for me. Is kodija's injury really that bad? Or is he about to be sold to balance the books? Ditto jedinak - linked with a move away in the summer. No sign of a return but the aussies have named him in their next squad. Doesn't stack up.
Then there's Jackie boy, who seems to split opinion 50:50 as hero/saviour or villain. With those three we might have been on nine points, or maybe none. If they all come back and we're still shit though, then the problems are as bad as they currently feel.

Sadly [?] I can't see JG being anything but another LH. Jedi is 33 and keeps playing for AUS, Kodjia ain't going to hang around here too long unless things change big time.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 01:01 Post ID: #1709087 - in reply to #1708234
Holte End Hero
Bruce has said he's the man for the job....
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 01:07 Post ID: #1709089 - in reply to #1708234
Villa Park Legend
@Tierney - nice informative post, thank you. If you look back to the infamous Iceland game in 2016, Bjarnason was a box to box left centre midfielder and a damned effective one too.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 01:12 Post ID: #1709090 - in reply to #1709087
Villa Park Legend
McParlandTheGreat - 16/8/2017 01:01

Bruce has said he's the man for the job....

On the defensive again maybe? We know there are those who beg [sorry pay/fork out in pursuit of their passion] to differ, perhaps he should now get used to speaking in the past tense.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 01:48 Post ID: #1709092 - in reply to #1708234
Squad Member
I was rather bemused to hear Bruce saying he was pleased with the reaction after we went behind....yep by conceding another within 6 minutes after nobody bothered to mark Reading players from their corner!

Every time we play, we look like 11 strangers who have just met for the first time in the changing room. There is no cohesion and little understanding between the players. We need a manager who can create a team, but I doubt Bruce can do that after failing dismally in that respect so far.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 01:48 Post ID: #1709093 - in reply to #1708234
Squad Member
I was rather bemused to hear Bruce saying he was pleased with the reaction after we went behind....yep by conceding another within 6 minutes after nobody bothered to mark Reading players from their corner!

Every time we play, we look like 11 strangers who have just met for the first time in the changing room. There is no cohesion and little understanding between the players. We need a manager who can create a team, but I doubt Bruce can do that after failing dismally in that respect so far.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 02:32 Post ID: #1709094 - in reply to #1708234
First Team Regular
We don't have shit players , they are not being coached properly and the manager has one style. We could sign another 5 players that everyone wants and it wouldn't change anything. Dogshit football.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 04:48 Post ID: #1709099 - in reply to #1709094
Team Of 82 Champion
pvb1968 - 16/8/2017 02:32

We don't have shit players , they are not being coached properly and the manager has one style. We could sign another 5 players that everyone wants and it wouldn't change anything. Dogshit football.

Agreed regarding our playing staff.

De Laet Terry Chester Taylor - you're talking about 3 players who have achieved promotion and did pretty well in the EPL, nothing to add regarding Terry

Adomah Whelan Jedinak Barni - all internationals and while I was dead against Whelan if you dont leave him exposed he should be useful at this level

Kodjia Hogan - capable goalscorers

We've got good young players who we all know plus others who I would suggest might show some pedigree if we had a settled and balanced side.

I dont know what to say about Bruce he has the credentials but he isnt putting it into practice. I've been standing by him and we need stability but there is a niggling thing in my head that we'll be knee into December before he figures out how to get us firing. If he even gets the chance to it's going to take 12 games to 3 months before the tide turns mark my words. I don't think thats the end of the world as one team always comes marauding up the league from November into the New Year and gets pushes for play offs.

That is obviously a gigantic risk and realistically I'd almost be more inclined to give him 2 more games and then thats all she wrote, win both convincingly with a clear show that you've the team behind you and I'll say march on.

As a club we clearly have an issue and I feel part of it is expectations and the relationship we have with the team and management or lack thereof. New players get absolutely no chance its hit the ground running or fuck off, its sad to see and I can admit I have my moments (Glenn Whelan/Kozak) but for some its every player. Big money players go in the EPL and take 6 months to settle sometimes not sure why we cant always understand that and for some its longer, Juan Pablo anybody?

Snodgrass is the perfect example of being ran out of town before he even arrives. Am I keen on him? No, and I'll admit this is could be a sign Bruce could be losing his marbles but the pressure on him to succeed elevates to a level I know he cant achieve. Jordan Amavi getting absolutely slated was really troubling to me too he actually sounded like a professional reading his comments about staying even though he had the chance to leave. Another ran out of town, he's a young attacking full back in a defensive disjointed team. I am personally happy its only a loan because down the road we may get a manager who is progressive.

Anyway this got longer than I wanted. Something definitely needs to change but the manager is only half the battle.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 06:05 Post ID: #1709101 - in reply to #1708234
First Team Regular
So having being totally dominated in our last two games, and the second half of the first game, where do we go from here?

Bruce understandably thought that getting in proven (albeit not outstanding, JT of a few years ago excepted) mature players would do the trick. I guess he thought that their experience would allow him to buy some time while he sorted things out. I personally am not a fan of this approach, but if it allows him to slowly introduce younger players, then ok and at least it is a plan. Something that you couldn't accuse many of our recent managers of having. My issue is with his style of play. It nearly got us relegated last season and if he can't formulate a style that both entertains and gets results, then I'm afraid we will be sunk. Why is it that every player we have bought over the last three years has looked totally devoid of ability. Kodija must be some player as we habitually turn 15-20 goal a season strikers into utter sh*te, decent defenders into error prone hoof it merchants, and midfielders into players that can neither break up play, tackle or see a pass.

The only plus point last night was the well taken goal. More of that please and less of the 87 minutes that lead up to it.
Like post
Like this post
16 August 2017 06:26 Post ID: #1709102 - in reply to #1709101
Team Of 82 Champion
Aston Villa Football Club - you are a disgrace , from top to bottom.

The night started really well, when at 1910hrs we got to the turnstyle (as this time our tickets had arrived !!) , but only to find, our tickets didn't work !!!. Off to the collection point we go, to find literally 100's (and remember this was 10 past 7 !) of fans, from as far as Weymouth were in the same position. Reading staff then informed us Villa had sold tickets for seats that did not exist !!!!

The atmosphere was extremely hostile, but luckily (or unluckily) as it turned out) some very nice staff from Reading (Danni) sorted our issue and we managed to get in at 1945 - leaving around 500 very angry fans outside. As we were going in we heard they were going to take all the fans with void tickets into one area then try and distribute them into unoccupied areas

A total and utter cock up again !!!!

Then, the so called football match, which in reality was one team totally running rings around statues for 75 minutes.

We were utterly outclassed. Whereas Cardiff out battled us, this was more a case of this team just taking the pee out of us. They were so far ahead of us in all areas it was quite unbelievable. Fast pace, movement, forward thinking, little touches, flicks - it was like Brazil 1970 playing The Hare and Hounds.

An utter disgrace !!!

Don't be fooled by the scoreline, by the 75th minute, Reading had long given up trying to play - if they had carried on, it would have been 3 or 4 again.

Motm = Johnstone . close second, De Laet = the rest were just utter shite

Talking of De Laet , he was good last night, but I am now getting the idea that Bruce just pulls names out of the hat to who is going to play, there is no joined up thinking at all.

And the sub of De Laet for Hutton when we are two nil down - don't get me started !!!

And to top it all, got caught in a traffic jam on the M4 , got home at 0140 and had to be up at 5am for work

I am totally pissed off !!!!
Like post
Like this post
Pages (29): « First ... 24 25 26
28 29 Last »
Jump to forum: