Aston Villa Forum - Summer 2017 Transfer Window
Vital Football

Latest Aston Villa News

Welcome to the Aston Villa Fans Forum

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Random quote: My problems are all mental (deanovilla)
Current Poll (see more polls)
Millwall MotM
Suggested By: Site Staff
Johnstone78%
Hutton3%
Samba0%
Chester0%
Taylor1%
Snodgrass0%
Whelan8%
Lansbury1%
Adomah0%
Onomah0%
Davis0%
Sub - Grealish3%
Sub - Elmohamady1%
Sub - Elphick5%
Write for Vital Football
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.JuanPabloAngel144
2.Pride of Lions136
3.The Fear109
4.HeathfieldRoad1874107
5.BodyButter97
6.sirdennis80
7.Melon Donkey66
8.mike_field52
9.McParlandTheGreat47
10.Villan Of The North47
The Vital Football Members League
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Pages (97): « First ... 92 93 94
96 97 Last »
Summer 2017 Transfer Window
01 September 2017 13:36 Post ID: #1712079 - in reply to #1685215
Villa Park Legend
With perfect timing Lemar scores a worldy just as the Arsenal deal to sign him was being announced as not going ahead.

Didn't even know he had given up singing to play football
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
01 September 2017 13:45 Post ID: #1712083 - in reply to #1685215
Pass it to Walker Roared The Villa Crowd
Ban Windows.
Go back to when the only time you couldn't buy was from somewhere around March to the end of the season. Can't remember exact date.
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 14:14 Post ID: #1712087 - in reply to #1685215
Vital Villan
I think it's been a very poor window for us.

Ins -
Whelan - too old and rubbish
Terry- not worked out so far
Samba- do I need to explain why this was stupid
Elmo - not required
Snodgrass - too early to tell but another right sided player
Onomah- excellent player but not ours
Johnstone - as above

outs -
Amavi - never lived up to the hype but only away on loan
Cissokho - only proper left back other than Taylor sold for pennies
Veretout - could have been decent but homesick, sold for a big loss
Baker - better than Samba and younger
Gardner - on loan only
Sanchez - good at International level, again sold for a big loss
Tshibola - on loan only

Not moved on -
Richards
Toxic
Elphick
McCormack
Hutton

I think Jota was a steal at £6m and if that was going to break the bank, then we are in serious trouble financially.

Most of the incomings have no future value and come the end of the season we have massive problems whether or not we get promoted.
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 14:36 Post ID: #1712091 - in reply to #1685215
First Team Regular
Yes the Jota signing looks good for the noses bit strange they sold Clayton Donaldson the noses I spoke to reckoned he was their hero down small heath.
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 15:10 Post ID: #1712096 - in reply to #1712022
Team Of 82 Champion
Holte139 - 31/8/2017 21:27

Financial Fair Play is an absolute con. It's designed to prevent the 'smaller' (anyone not currently in the Champions League) clubs challenging the status quo therefore protecting the revenue of the current 'big' clubs, UEFA and TV companies. The sooner it gets smashed the better. Why do you think the tops clubs voted for it so easily? They knew this was going to happen!

I got flamed for saying this a couple of years ago. FFP solidifies the monopoly and clubs with new money seem to have found a few little loopholes like PSG.

It caters perfectly to the big teams that make a lot of money where as the smaller sides are forced to look at things differently. The bigger clubs and smaller clubs are making completely different financial decisions. With that said I dont think there is a fair way to implement any rules the fairest way is to have the exact same limits applied to every club i.e. a lump sum and not a percentage. However that hurts large teams and a percentage base hurts small teams to the point they cannot compete with the bigger sides.

It was a decent idea but execution leaves a lot to be desired.
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 15:21 Post ID: #1712097 - in reply to #1685215
Vital Villa Legend
At least Randy had the foresight to vote against FFP. Not that it made any difference , I think we were one of only three clubs that voted against it.
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 16:18 Post ID: #1712099 - in reply to #1685215
Holte End Hero
I suspect there's a bit more to our money situation than just FFP. Xia has splashed a fair amount of cash since he's been here and I think he now wants (demands?) a return on it. Bruce was backed in January in order to have a squad ready for this season, and I think Xia (rightly) is unenthusiastic about giving him more cash to add yet more big money signings. Over to you, Steve.
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 16:36 Post ID: #1712101 - in reply to #1685215
Vital Villa Legend
The Dr tweeted yesterday that we have nearly broken even with our transfer dealings and that FFP wasn't a s big an issue as was been made out (or words to that effect). I think he just wants us to be smarter in our transfer dealings value wise.
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 16:41 Post ID: #1712104 - in reply to #1712087
Squad Member
Fulford - 1/9/2017 14:14

I think it's been a very poor window for us.

Ins -
Whelan - too old and rubbish
Terry- not worked out so far
Samba- do I need to explain why this was stupid
Elmo - not required
Snodgrass - too early to tell but another right sided player
Onomah- excellent player but not ours
Johnstone - as above

outs -
Amavi - never lived up to the hype but only away on loan
Cissokho - only proper left back other than Taylor sold for pennies
Veretout - could have been decent but homesick, sold for a big loss
Baker - better than Samba and younger
Gardner - on loan only
Sanchez - good at International level, again sold for a big loss
Tshibola - on loan only

Most of the incomings have no future value and come the end of the season we have massive problems whether or not we get promoted.

What on earth were you expecting? For 3.5mil of spending Bruce has done wonders.

Lets talk outgoing first and perspective. Look at the clubs we've sold to, besides Forentina who took two players who didn't want to be with us with all of them have downgraded. All of them. Shite players have moved on. No one wants to buy them and they've gone.

Incoming players, again did you think Lemar was a possibility on deadline day?

Ins -
Whelan - too old and rubbish - He's been solid as a rock for 10 years in prem. Name someone else in the midfield with that type of experience who we could of got. For 1.5 million!

Terry- not worked out so far - Hasn't been our best performer but we got a talisman and a leader who's got a bigger CV of awards than the rest of the league combined. I'd listen to him over any other player in the Champsionship.

Samba- do I need to explain why this was stupid - yes this one was the weakest signing.

Elmo - not required - Give me whatever you have been smoking please. The stability and work he provides makes him a starter. Improvement on what we had, knows Bruce well and how to play for him. Considering his cost was little. Great signing.

Snodgrass - too early to tell but another right sided player - Right footed player who played at the 10 for Hull and got fucked around by West Ham. Better than what we have.

Onomah- excellent player but not ours - Our one, Grealish barely plays and isn't as good. Instant impact and improves us. If he helps get us to the prem, who cares he goes back to Spurs. We're going to go through another rebuild then.

Johnstone - as above - last year of contract, if we make it to the prem you'd imagine he comes to us. Regardless, improvement on everyone else and zero commitment if we want to move forward with a experienced prem keeper next year.

Now, lets talk perspective again because I fear the majority of our fan support get on this bandwagon after a single loss that it's time to rebuild yet again.

We have been on life support for A DECADE and we're a joke holding onto previous accomplishments held by a previous generation. Why on earth does that grant us better?

We are where we are and we are who we are.

That's a team with the lowest winning % in England over the past DECADE and finished outside of the playoffs last year. And you're complaining about all of the starters we've brought in which WALK INTO EVERY TEAM IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

Negative shit like this is why the dark clouds do not go away. Instant hate and expectation for better when we're already providing better players than we deserve for how poor the entertainment has been for so long.

You're not going to hear a should say "I've been inspired by how well Villa can take a loss". Every one of them says, "I'm here to help rebuild". In the process of turning down clubs who are better than the clubs who took our shite.

But, lets talk rebuild. Another 2-3 year project of shipping out everyone and bringing in new players. Who do you have in mind, who's better? What manager knows this league better and what it takes to get out?

I've always thought a whole new squad being rebuilt with zero comfort going into a league with many teams full of stability was the right way to immediately bounce back up...

The path to the holy land is a long bumpy road. If that bump hurts your bum, wince but keep going. Otherwise stay where you are on the path and stop telling others to get off there as well.

Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 17:33 Post ID: #1712115 - in reply to #1685215
Vital Villan
Firstly I didn't expect anything for the net spend.

With Elmo I just think the money could have been spent elsewhere and not on another right sided player. Also I've seen him play one good game since he arrived, he was awful last time out.

Jota is a playmaker, a position we definitely needed to fill.

What is there to say any of these loan players will join at the end of the season. The only one with an option to buy is Snodgrass.

Onomah is a great player but if we don't go up then all we have done is presented spuds with a better player.

If Grealish is so bad then we should get rid instead of getting another GG situation.

I'm not being negative, just realistic. It hasn't been a good window and I'm not blaming SB for it.

Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 17:39 Post ID: #1712118 - in reply to #1685215
Holte End Hero
Maddox - think you're missing the point. Bruce signed a load in January, and failed to get the most out of them. To rectify it he buys another load, half of whom are uninspiring but will likely keep the players he already has sitting on the bench. Johnson, Onomah and Terry are good signings. The others are not needed.

Edited by McParlandTheGreat 1/9/2017 17:41
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 17:45 Post ID: #1712119 - in reply to #1685215
Squad Member
Actually the opposite. All of these players Bruce has brought are to help with the players he's brought in.

The whole relegation squad is gone and we have a mix of the best from the championship in recent years and prem experience. Exactly what you need to go up.
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 17:50 Post ID: #1712120 - in reply to #1712119
Vital Villan
So out of the players he's bought who would you say are regularly achieving at a level we need to get promoted.
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 18:15 Post ID: #1712122 - in reply to #1685215
Team Of 82 Champion
I think Bruce has been solid in the 10 months or so he's been here . Starting to shape a quality team now with his own identity .
Judge him after 10 games of this season as I feel this team is about to go on a decent run.
With the arrival of snodgrass and the imminent returns of Jedi and Kodija we look too strong for anyone in this division
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 18:41 Post ID: #1712123 - in reply to #1685215
Team Of 82 Champion
This summers transfers have condemned the club to immediate relegation, should a miracle occur and we get promoted.
Make no mistake, those in charge of purchases must stop not only overpaying for players but, stop paying top ten premiership wages.
The whole club hierarchy, as well as the majority of fans, should realise where we are as a club. Its 35 years+ since we were the best club in world football.
We are, at best, A MID-TABLE SECOND TIER CLUB.
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 19:16 Post ID: #1712126 - in reply to #1712123
Team Of 82 Champion
1958Villan - 1/9/2017 18:41

This summers transfers have condemned the club to immediate relegation

Ridiculous overreaction.

Edit:

Think I might have misread your post. Should we get promoted I agree I don't think a lot of these players will be able to step up, but that's a problem to worry about when we get there - the real and immediate threat is getting stuck down in the championship for years and years and years. I think we have bought mainly well, on paper, and those players should be good enough to get us promoted, but it's easier said than done

Edited by david-avfc 1/9/2017 19:36
Like post
Like this post
01 September 2017 19:19 Post ID: #1712127 - in reply to #1712122
Team Of 82 Champion
Silhillvilla - 1/9/2017 18:15

I think Bruce has been solid in the 10 months or so he's been here . Starting to shape a quality team now with his own identity .
Judge him after 10 games of this season as I feel this team is about to go on a decent run.
With the arrival of snodgrass and the imminent returns of Jedi and Kodija we look too strong for anyone in this division

I think 5 more games is a fair chance without putting us totally out of the promotion race. Currently 10 point off top its not an insurmountable task to overcome that in 36 games its Cardiff and Ipswich afterall.

My worry is that Bruce went and did something I preached against all pre-season and tried to play a back 3 which was even more astonishing considering he stumbled across a starting XI that actually clicked two games previous.

Maddox - 1/9/2017 16:41

Negative shit like this is why the dark clouds do not go away. Instant hate and expectation for better when we're already providing better players than we deserve for how poor the entertainment has been for so long.

Preach Maddox, Preach.

In general agree with most of your comments but this one above especially. It just never feels like everyone is totally on board and sadly I think we have to release and give a little blind faith. Paul Pogba a 90M superstar took a full season to truly bed back in and at a club he already was familiar with.

I am floating right in the middle at the minute I can see why Bruce should stay and also why he should go. I want him to stay but I am only giving him 5 'league' games before I start to wonder if he is the man for the job. 3 wins is my minimum expectation and its not unrealistic Burton, Brentford and Barnsley should be swept away.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (97): « First ... 92 93 94
96 97 Last »
Jump to forum: