Lack Of Leadership Is Killing Villa
Villa Yam Yam says: Lack of leadership is killing Villa
I'm not going to go over the embarrassment of the recent run of results as that has been done to death. Like every other Villa fan, I'm frankly ashamed of those performances.
As a season ticket holder I've been to every home game this season, and with the possible exception of Reading, we are the worst side I've seen.
I'd like to focus on what I think is missing at Aston Villa, and that is leadership. Leadership at pretty much every level from the Boardroom down to different areas of the pitch.
Firstly we are not seeing any leadership from Randy Lerner. What is his strategy for Aston Villa? What is the vision?
Then there is Paul Faulkner. He should be issuing statements describing how he is going to put actions in place that will help achieve Lerner's ambition (whatever that is).
As for Paul Lambert, he has obvious work to do. I am absolutely NOT calling for his head. For what it's worth, I think Lambert should be there next season whether we stay up or not. One of the most crucial acts of leadership is to recognise and accept when you have got something wrong, and then start putting it right. Lambert has to get over his Caledonian cussedness and accept that relying heavily on young players, many from the Championship, for a whole Premiership season IS NOT WORKING.
I understand the need to get the wage bill down. I understand the club has to be on a firm financial footing. I understand the need to bring young players through. I honestly do. But this is too much too soon for our club and if it continues, we WILL be relegated.
On the pitch, in Vlaar's absence, we have no defensive leader. (By the way, does anyone know why a 'calf strain' would keep someone out for so many games? Or what the timescale is for Vlaar's return? Communication is another key factor in leadership). There is no-one taking responsibility for organising the midfield. The constant passing along the length of the halfway line just before booting it up to the opposition centre backs is mystifying me. Are the players on a 'pass bonus'?
Without our much loved and much missed Stan Petrov we don't have a captain to conduct the orchestra. To speed play up when required, to limit damage when damage limitation is the only option, and to close games down when the situation demands. This has cost us vital points countless times already this season.
The team as a whole needs a leader. So enough of the rant.
Here is the Villa YamYam manifesto for immediate implementation:
1. Randy Lerner issues a statement detailing his vision for Aston Villa Football Club in the short, medium and long term.
2. Paul Faulkner backs it up by describing a series of actions to support that vision that he will personally take responsibility for delivering.
3. A proven performer in the Premiership is purchased in January to play at centre back and help lead the defence.
4. A proven performer in the Premiership is purchased in January to play at centre midfield to help marshal that area of the pitch.
5. The fans are given a clear indication of when Ron Vlaar will return to captain the side. If it is not to be soon, then the burden should be lifted from poor Ciaran Clark who is wilting under the pressure.
I for one am chronically tired of the anaemic 'We will be fine' mantra - it is time for positive action. If these actions (or some similar to them) are not implemented quickly then I fear we are doomed to Championship football next season.