A West Ham Fans Opinion Villa v Hammers
Interview with Rossy from Vital West Ham.
1) So, a new season, what hopes for West Ham? Realistically where should West Ham be aiming in the league and where do you think you'll finish?
Firstly, we`re hoping that this season will not see us flirt with that infamous relegation trap door; my nerves couldn`t stand a second successive season staring at oblivion in the Championship. But with a new manager on board and several signings to add to a thin squad we`re looking to finish somewhere in mid table. As for where we should be finishing, just think of all the talent this club of ours has produced over the years or even the talent that was on our books and is still playing in the Premier League - Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Michael Carrick, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson to name but five, we should be top six material in our opinion!
2) Any decent new signings? Any notable exits?
Our co-owners, as you are probably aware, decreed that everybody was for sale apart from Scott Parker. As I write we`ve had very few confirmed departures but have managed to bring in five new players. One of those will probably be very familiar to you - Thomas Hitzlsperger. The others have seen a young Mexican winger in Barrera join us, a du from Portsmouth in Fredric Piquionne and Tal Ben Haim along with a New Zealand World Cup star in Winston Reid. Not household names but we`re sure Avram knows what he`s doing!
3) Can you explain to the Villa fans what your new owners (where there is no love lost with us for obvious reasons!) have done to the Bobby Moore tournament and how you all feel about it?
Sacrificed it for a few dollars it seems! A shocking decision especially when you consider Gold and Sullivan preach they are West Ham fans since boyhood, they really should have known better. Perhaps public opinion will see the decision reversed but it`s a move that will long be remembered considering the respect we (and the country as a whole) has for the late and great Bobby Moore!
4) Any thoughts on Aston Villa and Martin O'Neill? (asked before MON quit, answered after he quit!)
When the news broke on Monday evening I was shocked. Quite what has gone on remains debatable, have Villa become a selling club? More worryingly, could he have done it at a worse time with the new season so close? Did he perceive that sales would mean a poorer season and he didn`t want to be associated with that when he only ever wanted you to regain the lofty position you held in English football when Ron Saunders and Tony Barton led you to great things?
5) If you could have one of our players who would it be and why?
Ashley Young! Pace, grace and a cool finisher, just what every club needs!
6) If you could ask yourself one question West Ham related, what would it be and what is your answer!?
Difficult one this! I`d like to know where all the money has gone over the years but I doubt whether I`d get an answer that satisfies me or the other Upton Park regulars!
7) Ok, go for it, what is your prediction?
I`m going to be brave! After all doesn`t fortune favour the brave? I`m going for a narrow West Ham win, 1-0!