Interview With A Gooner Blogger
1) So, the top four not so secure these days, do you fear you might fall out of it or are Arsenal 'safe'?
The only time I was worried about Arsenal dropping out of the Top 4 was in 2005/2006. That year Tottenham fought us till the last game of the season. Other than that Arsenal have not really been outside the Top 4 come March or April since Wenger took over. Credit to Wenger, as I believe that Arsenal fans can really take Champions League football for granted and feel secure due to his contributions.
2) What do you see Arsenal achieving this season and if you don't win the league, is it good enough for the club, the manager and fans?
Winning the League is Arsenal's first and foremost priority. If the Premier League is not won by Arsenal, that is a disappointment. While we understand that only one team will be able to win it, we have to take into context external factors that may influence the title tilt. Pessimistically, I see Arsenal either winning the Premier League or the F.A. Cup this season.
3) Arsene Wenger seems to be hinting that he might run down his contract, would it be time for him to move on the summer after next or should Arsenal move heaven and earth to extend his deal?
If Wenger feels he has taken the club as far as possible and wants to seek a new challenge, the Board should respect that and celebrate the man. If he wants to continue, extend his contract. I personally do not see Arsene Wenger leaving anytime soon.
4) What is your opinion of Aston Villa and Martin O'Neill?
Where to begin with Aston Villa. They have become more prominent after Martin O'Neill's appointment and the Randy Lerner takeover it seems. Martin O'Neill is a very shrewd manager and has the reputation of bringing out the best of his players. A very good motivator. Off the pitch, I believe he is very cultured too. I rate him highly, unfortunately I feel his time has passed to take on a club like Arsenal or any other Champions League Club and build a legacy. He would be better off sticking with Aston Villa and try to establish them as a European powerhouse once again.
5) Can Villa finish in the top four and if so, at whose expense?
Yes, I do believe this could be Villa's season at the expense of Liverpool. Though this assertion might come back to haunt me end of the season. The real test is doing it consistently, which only 3 clubs have managed to achieve over the past 13 years, Real Madrid, Man Utd and of course Arsenal.
6) If you could have a couple of our players, who would they be and why?
Gabriel Agbonlahor to solve our current striking problems and provide a stable cover for Robin Van Persie. Richard Dunne for defensive cover. Ashley Young for midfield cover.
7) Who should Villa fear in your team?
For the game on Sunday, Andrey Arshavin. One small mistake and it could be game set and match for Villa. Just ask Glen Johnson. Also, lookout for Abou Diaby if he starts.
8) OK, lets be having you, what is your prediction for the game?
My heart says a win for Arsenal, my head says a stalemate with neither side breaking through.
Cheers and good luck for the game.
With thanks to chronicaddiction at www.gunnernation.wordpress.com Should have our Vital editor's interview later, can't get enough of these fan opinion pieces I must admit!