An Interview With A Gunner
1) So, strange season all round in the Prem so far this year, exciting or depressing for you Arsenal boys?
Depressing, so very depressing. We have won 7 points out of 9 when playing Liverpool, Man Utd & Chelsea yet we are dropping points left right and centre against to lower placed teams, and if you want to be serious title challengers, you just can't do that.
2) We are being tipped to break into the top four, do you agree we could do it and if so, will it be at your expense or one of the other '4' (I refuse to say big four!)
Well you've made a bloody good start. I personally believe you might just fall a little bit short this season, you don't really seem to have had a blip and when you do (everyone does) I think you might just fall away. But that's just my opinion. That said there's no reason why I can't be proved wrong, and out of the rest of the teams in the PL Villa are the best equipped, indeed they would be my preference. If you do manage it I can't see any team dropping out of the top 4 other than Arsenal. I think Liverpool could have, but the start they have had means they're just too far in front.
3) Do you expect Arsene Wenger to break his policy and spend big this winter?
God knows. I think he will certainly buy, he has to, but spend big? Maybe if the right man comes along. It will certainly be interesting to say the least.
4) Which one player would you have from Villa and why?
I'd take Young. With the sales and injuries we've suffered over the last 6 months we're desperately short in the wide areas and I reckon he could do a real job for us out there. Fast, tricky and an eye for goal. Awesome player.
5) Who should Villa look out for on Boxing day and who scares you the most in the Villa team.
Who scares me most? See above. If we play as high as we did against Liverpool he will destroy us.
With Cesc and Adebayor missing there isn't much to be afraid of. We're lacking cohesion and confidence. But if I had to pick one I'd say van Persie, he's playing pretty well and working hard for the team. Also I'd be wary of giving any freekick within shooting range. Hold on, why am I giving advice? Get stuck in, be as dirty as you like ;)
6) How worried are you what a defeat would mean points wise on Boxing day, obviously it is a cliché to say it but this is a real six pointer and I can't remember the last time we did the double on you guys.
Crapping myself would easily be the most polite way of putting it. I usually love boxing day football but this one will be a real nerve jangler.
7) What do you think of the Wenger to Real Madrid links returning?
It's b*ll*cks. It doesn't (shouldn't) need me to tell anyone that 95% that comes out of Madrid is utter lies and should be treated with contempt it deserves. Arsene Wenger runs our club from top to bottom with little to no interference, he'd never get the same freedom in Spain. There is a reason why here in England we call them managers and in Spain they call the coaches.
Indeed Wenger has already rubbished the rumour.
8) Finally, what is your prediction for the game?
I'd never offer a negative prediction towards my team, so I'm afraid I'm not saying anything.
Happy Christmas Villa fans, wishing you good luck for the rest of the season (though not as much as Arsenal).
With thanks to Rocky from Vital Arsenal: www.arsenal.vitalfootball.co.uk
Wishing you and all your Vital Gooner readers a Happy Christmas but an awful Boxing day!