An Interview With A Newcastle Fan
Vital Villa have interviewed Ross from Vital Newcastle ahead of Monday night's Premiership clash.
1) So, an awful start to the season and more manager merry go rounds, what is going on?
Anything and everything! We've finally managed to string together a bit decisive fan action to get rid of Ashley but then the global economy goes into meltdown and buyers are about as hard to find as rocking horse droppings. On the pitch, it's been fits and starts, the low being the derby loss last weekend and the high being a win after 8 games v the Baggies. Just your average NUFC start to the season.
2) Joe Kinnear, did you think this was a wind up? How bad are things when even David O'Leary won't take the job!? (alledgedly!)
At first I couldn't believe it but after his Mike Bassett moment with the media he won a lot of us round. It helped him getting off the ground with some decent performances against Citeh and Everton but losing to the mackems wasn't ideal. Still, he got the points v WBA and given the loathing our fans have for O'Dreary it probably is better Kinnear got the job. What manager in their right mind would take the job when we could be sold in days?
3) Do you see a light at the end of the tunnel? Do you think a takeover will happen shortly?
Not this side of Christmas. I think Ashley is still playing hard ball and wanting far more than the club is worth in the current financial market. However the January window is the crunch for him. He'll have to fork out for new players or face further fan protests plus Kinnear is getting antsy about the job now and wants a full time position. If it gets as far as February he'll stay.
4) Michael Owen. Moving in the summer on a free or can you keep hold of him and more importantly, would you want to?
Unless the takeover happens he's away. By all accounts he hates the fact he was getting sold to any takers on deadline day plus he resents the fact Keegan left. I feel so sorry for the bloke as he's an absolute gem and without him I can see a perennial relegation struggle. He's a class act and too good for us in our present shape.
5) If you could have one of our players, who would it be and why? And who would you send in the opposite direction?!
A close toss up between Young and Agbonlahor, with preference for the right winger at the current time. I think they're both fantastic players and should be involved with Capello's squad. In the other direction I'd probably send Viduka. A wastrel who spends all his time on the treatment table. All for the princely sum of £60k a week.
6) What do you think of Aston Villa and Martin O'Neill (if anything!)?
I rate Villa this season and that's primarily to do with O'Neill. Despite his alleged sunderland tattoo (!) I think he's done wonders, probably as he's got a chairman who gives him carte blanche to run the club as he pleases. I think top four is a little bit too much to ask but with us, Everton and Spuds failing again you've got fifth in the bag.
7) What is your prediction for Monday night?
An entertaining 1-1 draw.
With thanks to Ross from www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk