Writer: J P Fear
Date:Friday October 24 2008
1) Hi Mr Latic, how goes the season so far? Seems to be some very mixed results, things must be bad when you can't even beat Spurs (!). Is the start as expected?
We have been playing exceptionally well, should have had a point at West Ham on the opening day but didn`t, same with Chelsea at home etc, etc and that`s been the problem, we could and should have been another 7 points better off than what we are to say we have been a tad unlucky would be an understatement, to be honest though mid table is where I expect us to be for the most of the season, but we do need to start picking up a few more points to be sure.
2)Mr Potato Head. The right man(ager) for the job and do you think he'll stay at a club more than 2 minutes this time?
It looks like Steve Bruce will be with us for a while yet, when he arrived last season we were in deep trouble he sorted us out by making us more organised and he`s brought in some quality players such as Palacios and Zaki
3) Amr Zaki looks a great find, do you think you'll be able to keep him or will he be poached. I believe Rafa Benitez was talking about him the other day, how did that go down amongst Wigan fans?
When you have the number 1 FIFA ranked striker in your side you are bound to be bombarded with speculation, at least we are receiving some positive press for a change, latest club linked is Real Madrid but I have it on good authority that he wants to stay at the Latics, for the time being anyways
4)Best thing out of Wigan is The Verve... discuss....!!!! :o)
If you like your music then yes The Verve are probably the best band that Wigan has produced with the hit Bitter Sweet Symphony in most peoples top 10, if you like your sweets then you`d have to say Uncle Joe`s Mint Balls are the best thing to come out of Wigan, then there is Heinz Baked Beans, Marks and Spencer, George Formby, Sir Ian McKellen (Gandalf), Roy Kinear, Georgie Fame, Star Sailor, Beechams Powders, June Croft, Limahl, Eva Pope, Girobank, The Railway Children, Wigan Casino and of course the Latics, hard to choose but for me it has to be the Latics
5) What do you realistically expect this season and what do you expect medium to long term of Wigan?
This season I expect a good cup run in both domestic trophies, we play the Arsenal Youth team in the 4th round of the Carling Cup so we have got a chance to progress there and a mid-table finish without any relegation threat, whether we can then go onto build on this is debatable but I would like to think we can, for the long term competing for the UEFA cup spot must be the aim for the club
6) Do you think Wigan will be able to start increasing their home fan attendance as time goes on or is the rugby culture preventing football fever in the town?
Rugby culture? Wigan is NOT a rugby town, for a start the Latics attendances are much bigger than the Rugby`s, most of the Rugby support comes from outside of Wigan, 70% of Wigan Warriors supporters are over the age of 60, Latics support has grown from an average of just over 6,000 in 2002 to 18,000 so far this season, I`d say that is an increase in attendances and let me assure you football fever is very much a part of this town
7) I visited your gaff last year and must say it was very cold and wet. Can you do anything about it for my return visit this Sunday please?
Are you a southern softie? Cold and wet? I thought it was a grand day last year, more of the same for this Sunday too.
8) Which one of our players would you like at Wigan and why?
Gareth Barry because he is class, simple
9)Who would you send down to us in exchange?
Emile Heskey just to wind you all up because he played for your second favourite side
10) Emile Heskey has been linked to Aston Villa. Not the biggest thrill for most Villa fans I must admit, what do you think of the links and why with his goalscoring record (1 in 5 at the moment I believe) do you think England and teams like us and Liverpool are showing an interest?
Heskey has been fantastic for us and his work rate during games is phenomenal, he doesn`t score enough we all know that, but he creates a lot of space for his strike partners to exploit, if he could knock in 20 goals per season he would be worth an enormous amount in today's inflated transfer market
11) Go on then, after we beat you 2-1 last season, what do you think the score will be this year?
I remember we beat you 2-0 on the 4th of May at your place and I think we will repeat that score line on Sunday, though luckily for you Antonio Valencia will be missing after his sending off last weekend.
With thanks to the great guy that is worbo at www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk where my almost unbelievably excellent interview will appear later!
And check out our Vital Villans thread at Vital Wigan: Vital Villa on Tour: Wigan
Date:Friday October 24 2008
Villa In The 90s (Saturday May 23 2015)
Sherwood - Build After Burnley (Friday May 22 2015)
Sherwood Talks Delph & Sinclair (Friday May 22 2015)
No Burnley Party For Sherwood (Friday May 22 2015)
Gardner Wants To Be A One Club Man (Friday May 22 2015)
Benteke Looking For Burnley Joy (Friday May 22 2015)
Delph Crowned Player Of The Year (Friday May 22 2015)
Mystic Mug v Lawro - Aston Villa v Burnley (Friday May 22 2015)
Do We Find Relegation Battles Exciting? (Friday May 22 2015)
Something For The Weekend (494) (Friday May 22 2015)
|2.||Pride of Lions||895|
|Aston Villa||1||-||0||West Ham|
|Man City||3||-||2||Aston Villa|
|14. Leicester City||37||10||8||19||-13||38|
|16. Aston Villa||37||10||8||19||-25||38|
|18. Hull City||37||8||10||19||-18||34|
|Everton vs Tottenham Hotspur
» Spurs : 23/05/2015 09:40:01
|Could Hammers Send Newcastle Down?
» West Ham : 23/05/2015 09:38:01
|Changing The Game
» Spurs : 23/05/2015 09:37:01
|Bilic a Free-Agent!
» West Ham : 23/05/2015 09:28:00
|Villa In The 90s
» Aston Villa : 23/05/2015 07:57:01