A Hammers View On Villa Visit
1) So how has your season been so far?
After the optimism of 2005-06; a top half finish and a Cup final on our return to the top flight, the early season arrival of two international superstars... it's gone a little downhill. We're in the bottom 3, we've no confidence, we haven't won a game since circa 1946 and the injury list gets longer and longer - populated mainly by defenders (aside from our best two forwards - Ashton & Tevez). We have an almighty battle on our hands to stay in this division.
2) Are you happy with your manager swap and do you think it was right for Pardew to leave? Is Curbs the man to take you forward?
I was disgusted by Pardew's sacking. He'd earnt the right to be our manager & should've been allowed the January pot of gold. Once he was gone, Curbishley was probably the right choice. I like to be positive and back whoever the manager is (I stuck up for Roeder for a while - he was clueless) but Curbs has yet to impress me. Still his track record is more than adequate & if we stay up then he's in a good position with our new money.
3) We've both seen takeovers this season, are your guys walking the walk at the moment, you happy with the changes?
Well, Terrence Brown was not too popular, therefore not a hard act to follow. Magnusson has put his money where his mouth is and most of the fans seem quite happy but... I'm not sure. As mentioned, I thought the Pardew sacking was wrong. I also think he enjoys the limelight a bit too much. Really, though, it's far too early to judge. After 10 managers in 100 years, I'll be gutted if he starts chopping and changing like Fat Freddie at Newcastle.
4) What is it like to know that you don't wear the real Claret and Blue and in fact wear pink and blue? ;-))
You'd best come and ask an east end pub full of Hammers' fans next time you're down...
5) Will the Hammers survive this season and how far realistically can West Ham go and what do you expect of them in the next five years?
The million dollar question. It's lucky Wigan are rubbish at the moment. We can have hope if not expectation.
The medium term future depends on survival - if we stay up then having some cash will be a novel experience. Perhaps we could achieve midtable obscurity with the odd (brief) foray into Europe. If we go down, who knows?
6) Who do you fear in the Villa team?
I think it was inconsiderate of you to go out and buy 2 decent forwards prior to playing against us. Why not give them a rest this week; it's only West Ham after all...
7) Who should we fear in the Hammers team?
New striker Kepa Blanco is averaging a goal a game... in the same way Ashley Young is for you! Seriously? Nobody on current form. Yossi Benayoun is our creative hope, but he's been off form this season. I think Sheringham is possibly still our best fit striker but Curbs doesn't seem to fancy him. Possibly Marlon Harewood; hasn't he got some previous with your lot? Upson, being an ex-Birmingham player, might score I suppose. I really cannot scrape the barrel any more.
8) If you could have one of our players, who would it be and who would you send us in exchange?
Well, we tried to buy Young but he wouldn't come. Have you got a Shaun Newton-sized hole in your squad?
9) What is your match prediction?
1-0 to West Ham. No away wins all season but blind faith has to pay off sometime, eh?
With thanks to Adam Mansell from www.westham.vitalfootball.co.uk
(I'll add a link later to my answers for Vital West Ham once they put the interview up)