The Villa Times 27/03/2006
I've been interviewed for a Sky Sports News segment today, hopefully it will be clear that although David O'Leary is failing, the main culprit remains Doug. I did say it is like watching Dumb and Dumber, I expect that bit to be cut! Had to give the general feeling from the fans forums though and that is certainly very anti O'Leary.
O'Leary said on MOTD this weekend that 99% of the fans are behind him. Vital Villa readers disagree, with 89% saying he should leave and the remaining 11% still backing the under-fire boss. Full article:
Click Here It was also interesting to here Lee Dixon say once the banners go up, there is rarely a way back for managers and how bad it is that Villa are in the position we are. 31 games, 35 points, lowest ever in the Prem. Not good Mr O'Leary.
Trouble with all this is it deflects from the Ellis situation, but then I'm not sure what else Villa can do now they have put the club in the hands of Rothschild. We'd better hope that someone finally approaches. Or should that be that someone finally approaches and actually HAS the money!
Lee Hendrie proves yet again he is a Villa fan! He says he understands where the fans are coming from: 'It is a frustrating time at the moment. We are not where we want to be in the league - we are as frustrated as the rest of the fans. You can understand their point of view, because we want to be in the top half of the league and pushing for Europe. The majority of them see us play at Villa Park, and I think our home form this season has been pretty dismal.' Nice to see some plain talking, as 'pretty dismal' does sum it up. In the full article: Click Here He also says he might have to leave for regular first team football and how gutted he was that he had to come off on Saturday due to dizziness.
Kevin Phillips says that O'Leary hasn't lost the dressing room. 'I've heard it suggested that the gaffer has 'lost' the dressing room. But nothing could be further from the truth. Anyone who comes down to the training ground can see we're a happy bunch and no-one walks around with their head down. Everyone's upbeat and enjoying training and we can still put a good run together to finish the season on a high.' Interesting, it certainly flies in the face of what others are apparently whispering. Aaron Hughes (also an O'Leary signing) says the players are behind the boss.
Aaron Hughes says the virus has hit the squad hard: 'I did not train properly until Thursday. And I was just glad to get through the 90 minutes more than anything. Kevin Phillips was the same.' He also says James Milner has something 'similar to glandular fever' and admits the team is missing his skill.
Aaron Hughes is hoping Villa complete the permanent signing of James Milner saying: 'I think he would be a great signing for us.' Trouble is Newcastle United have indicated already that they expect the young winger back for pre-season training with them in the summer.
Villa's game v Manchester City has been moved from Saturday April 22nd to Tuesday April 25 (ko 7.45pm). This is due to one of the FA Cup semi-final's being staged at Villa Park.
Aston Villa have today announced their new shirt sponsorship deal for next season. The board and commercial department have scoured the world for a suitable tie in. Well, I can exclusively reveal the new sponsors, who narrowly beat off the Honey Monster, are sugar bag manufacturers Tate and Lyle. Doug Ellis wasn't available for comment but an a source close to the club said the deal was 'sweet'.
Banners were out for the Fulham game saying 'DOL out' and 'We aren't fickle, we just don't like you'. O'Leary said: 'I have been told about the banners. That comes with football now. It can happen to any of us at any time. There were 32,000 people in the ground and the vast majority of those people, like myself, want to take Aston Villa forward. We can't complain about the fans. If there are one or two banners out of 32,000 people, then I am big enough to take that on the chin.'
Reports are suggesting that Milan Baros might be able to walk out on Villa in the summer due to a clause in his contract: Full article: Click Here
Milan Baros has been linked in the weekend papers with a £3.5million move to Man City. Young Wright-Phillips was also linked to us. Utter rubbish, there is no way Villa will or should make such a loss on a quality striker like Baros.
Thought for the day: I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.
Win FREE pizza with Vital Football!
Select your team and get 50% off if they score twice.